Monday, October 16, 2017

International Quilt Study Museum.....



I believe this should be an inspiring start to your week.  I have always thoroughly enjoyed my many visits to the museum.


Here are Julie and Karen who were with me on this trip.  It is Karen's first visit.  I am excited for her!


On the wall when entering the museum.


One of the exhibits at the museum was the Edyta Sitar family quilts.  This is the Trip Around The World, dating back to the 1880's and was hand pieced and hand quilted.  What an amazing quilt from a one patch and a 4 patch that became a square in a square.  The key is the layout of blocks.


This amazing and beautiful Sunflower quilt dates back to 1885, and was hand pieced, hand appliqued, and hand quilted.  On this applique, all of the raw edges have been appliqued under.....most likely using the needle turn method.



This is a creation of Edyta herself.....machine pieced and quilted.


This is another of her lovely designs.....which she has entitled
Slow and Steady.  Also from 2014, machine pieced and quilted, which is the method used by the majority of quilters today.




A couple of close up pictures from the Sunflower quilt.  Fabulous fabrics.




This charming quilt, uses her present day technique for applique.  The raw edges are not appliqued under.





What a sweet little block...a variety of fabrics were used, and I recognize many of them.


What a beautifully striking quilt design!


"Try to make at least one person happy every day.  If you cannot do a kind deed, speak a kind word.  If you cannot speak a kind word, think a kind thought.  Count up if you can, the treasure of happiness that you would dispense in a week, in a year, in a lifetime!"  
-Lawrence G. Lovasik


3 comments:

  1. I have got to make it up there one day. We used to live in Omaha many years ago. I wasn't quilting at that time so I'm not sure if the Museum was even in Lincoln then or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your trips, your love of quilts and old loved things and now for sharing some of Edyta Sitar's treasures. You are a treasure to all of us. mjh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the pleasure of having Edyta as a neighbor when she lived in Michigan and I got to sew the binding on some of her quilts. She taught me to hand applique. We miss her family here in rural Michigan but I know she is doing well in her new home in CA. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete